In late 1904, Cross Roads Baptist Church in Hickman County sent Bro. James Harvey Hull to Hohenwald to organize a church. The church celebrated its Centennial in 2005, as 1905 was the beginning of organizing a congregation in Hohenwald. During the early years, the small congregation met in homes and in the Presbyterian Church. There are few official records of the first several years of church history, so the exact date of completion of the church building is unknown.
The church began to grow in the 30's and 40's. Some great men of God served as Pastor during this era. Bro. Marvin O. Wayland (who served FBC twice), Bro. Boyd Lecroy, Bro. Woodrow Stockman and others were successful in helping FBC grow.
In 1954, the congregation of FBC voted to construct a new sanctuary. It was completed in 1957. The cost of building the new sanctuary and educational space was around $63,000.00.
Under the leadership of Bro. William Swafford, First Baptist Church built and furnished a building for the Piney Mission. The church also started the Garrett Mission and helped create the ALPHA Association.
During Bro. Carl Allen's tenure, First Baptist Church made the Piney Mission into the Piney Baptist Church. They also donated a lot on Summertown Highway for the Garrett Mission to be located. Highland Baptist Church was started around this time as well.
There were many pastors, members and projects which contributed greatly to the growth of FBC:
Under Bro. Tim Miller's leadership, the church undertook a huge project to build the new sanctuary, as well as purchase adjoining lots as they became available. Construction on the new sanctuary began in May of 1994, and in April of 1995, a Celebration Service was held to praise God for His faithfulness to First Baptist Church of Hohenwald. One by one the lots adjoining the property became available for purchase and First Baptist Church of Hohenwald now occupies an entire city block.
Under Greg McFadden's leadership, members of FBC saw the need to convert the old sanctuary into two levels of educational space. This project was completed in 2001, with no additional debt incurred. This area now houses our children and student classes. Bro. Greg was also instrumental in getting the Bus Ministry of FBC started.
In March of 2005, a fire started in the building which housed the church offices and church library. The library was a complete loss and the offices sustained smoke damage. The church voted to destroy the house and construction on a new office complex began in May of 2006. This new complex was completed in August of 2006 and now houses offices for all of the staff.
In August of 2005, First Baptist Church called Bro. Mike Nolen as full-time Pastor. He preached his first sermon in October of 2005. In February of 2011, Bro. Mike resigned as pastor, feeling God calling him to a church in Paducah, Kentucky.
In September of 2013, FBC, Hohenwald called a new Pastor! Bro. Bert Spann began his ministry here at FBC on October 1, 2013!! We continue to praise God for the blessings He has given to us -- to Him be the glory!
First Baptist Church - Hohenwald
103 S Oak Street
Hohenwald, TN 38462
Phone: 931 796-3062
Fax: 931 796-1858
Or use our contact form.
We're here to welcome you.
Please stop by during these hours:
8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
8:30 a.m.-noon on Friday